Glasgow City Council issues a wide range of licences, from street trading to marriage to taxis without reference to Community Councils. However your Community Council has the statuory right to be informed about liquor licensing applications in our area.

We take a keen interest in the administration of the liquor licences required by the many bars, restaurants and off-licenses in our neighbourhood. In Glasgow this function is delegated to a Licensing Board who meet monthly in the City Chambers in George Square.

The meetings are open to the public and can last for up to three days. They deal mainly with applications for new licences, renewal of existing licences and for extensions to the permitted hours of existing licences.

Further information regarding meetings can be found here:

Applications can be submitted to the Licensing Board at any time and will be placed in front of the Board at the first available meeting following the end of the applicaiton’s consultation period.

Each application is subject to an individual consultation process and the objection period is set individually for each application. The agenda for each Licensing Board meeting is published on Glasgow City ouncil’s website three working days prior to each meeting.

If a licensed premises is causing a problem and the manager or licensee concerned does not respond then Woodside residents can contact the licensing sergeant at Maryhill Police Station on 0141 532 3700 for advice or intervention. When noise is the issue then the City Council night noise team is available seven days a week from 5pm till 3am on 0141 287 6688  to measure and control antisocial noise.

As a last resort a formal complaint about a licensed premises or an objection to the grant or extension of a liquor license can be made in writing to the Licensing Section of the Chief Executive’s Department at 235 George Street, Glasgow, G2 1DU.

A written complaint can be made at any time and will often be referred to the Police or to the Environement Protection department for a report. Thereafter the licensee and complainer may be invited to the next Board when the problem would be investigated. A licence can be suspended if a serious complaint is upheld.

A formal objection is different and must be made in accordance with the timetable shown above. A copy must be sent to the licensee’s legal representative whose address will be given in the advertisement of the application. To be competent an objection should relate to the suitability of the premises, or to the capability of the manager or licensee, or to the repeated occurrence of a nuisance or disturbance.

An objector is normally invited to the Licensing Board and it is always better to attend or to send an authorised representative to speak in support of the objection. Your Community Council is interested in the good management of our local licensed premises, so if you have a problem in this respect please contact us.