Woodside is the area bordered on the north by the canal and on the south by Great Western Road, stretching approximately from the junction of Trossachs Street and Raeberry Street with Maryhill Road, to New City Road and the Phoenix Flowers at Cowcaddens. Our map shows what a diverse area is covered by the district of Woodside.
A distinct locality for centuries, Woodside’s varied fortunes over the years dictate what is left of our heritage for us still to see. Starting out as a rural environment, the wealthy moved in to spacious villas, and grand residences like Clarendon Place. Churches were built to serve this growing community, and St George in the Fields, St Columba’s, Lansdowne Church, Kelvin Stevenson Church, and St Mary’s Cathedral can be seen today.
The area was transformed by transport links, when it became an ideal location for manufacturing industries. We can still see the remnants of the old Flint Mill, on the Kelvin Walkway.
Woodside quickly developed into an industrial heartland, though there are few remnants of that industry left to see – nothing is left of the foundries and quarries, apart from the Tower Building at Garscube Road, built in 1875 as offices and warehouses for James Allen of Elmbank Foundry.