The Glasgow Public Parks Act of 1859 gave powers to the Corporation to acquire lands for the purpose of forming parks and to levy rates for their upkeep. In 1866 the City Improvement Act also empowered the Corporation to “open up and improve the congested parts of the city by forming wider streets …….providing recreation grounds and public squares….”
In 1892 the Public Health Committee purchased the site at junction of New City Road & Garscube Road which had recently been vacated by the Phoenix Foundry. At a purchase price of £25,000 it was by far the most expensive of the recreation spaces the Committee provided, but the expense was justified as the location was “one of the most crowded and congested in any part of the city”.
The Committee also paid to enclose the ground, lay it out with trees, flowers, shrubs, and to provide seating, a bandstand and a gym. Gym had two divisions for boys & girls plus a “competent caretaker to maintain order and prevent accidents”. John “Sweetie” Buchanan, proprietor of the nearby sweetie factory commissioned a large ornamental fountain from the foundry and presented it to the park.
The park was swept away when the area was cleared during the building of the M8 in the 1970’s. Large, brightly coloured metal flowers identify the location today.