The original church was erected in 1832 in what was at that time a rural situation, and burned down on 23 November 1884. Hugh and David Barclay were the architects for the replacement, which opened in 1886. By then the church was already being described as “being in the fields no longer” due to the rapid development that had taken place over the previous couple of decades..
A sculpture of Christ Feeding the Multitude by William Birnie Rhind can be seen on the external facade.
The building ceased to be used as a church in 1979, despite an extensive renovation programme in 1972-3, which was largely financed by the District Council. It has now been converted into luxury flats