This Foundry was run by John Neilson, brother of J.B. Neilson who invented the hot blast process, an important contribution to the industrial revolution. In 1830 the Fairy Queen, the first iron steamer, to sail upon the Clyde was launched, having being built at this foundry and conveyed by trucks to the Broomielaw.
Around 1900 the Western District Hospital was built on the site, and was known locally as Oakbank. Hospital. During the First World War it was taken over by the military. Closed in 1965 the buildings were temporarily used as the Royal Hospital for Sick Children between 1966 and 1971, while re-building was happening at Yorkhill. They were demolished shortly afterwards.