Opened in 1934 by Glasgow Corporation it was the first purpose built further education college in the city. Named after the educationalist David Stow (1793-1864). it provided evening classes for shipyard workers and was known at the time as a Trades School.
During World War Two the building operated as a Rolls Royce production centre to manufacture aero engines for the war effort
The college has adapted to changing times and now offers a wide range of courses and qualifications. In 2000 a campus was opened in the former Shakespeare St school in Maryhill and is known as Stow West.